Listen While Reading: Snowmine // Let Me In.
1. You are allowed to outgrow things, ideas, fashion, and most importantly, you’re allowed to outgrow people. Who you were in 2015 might not be who you choose to be in 2016. It’s okay change.
2. Be more sentimental. Crying it not a sign of weakness, it’s a sign of strength. It’s a way of cleaning your inner self from the demons you’ve fought and overcome. It’s a sign of moving forward, that your life isn’t grounded in the past.
3. Money comes and goes like boys in the summer. Realize it’s okay to spend some on yourself every once in a while. You worked for your money.
4. Fresh fruit is always a worthwhile purchase. So are fresh flowers, tea, and candles.
5. Call your family. Call that friend you haven’t spoken to since high school graduation. Check in on your best friend from home. Make an effort to see the people who you don’t see every day. Long-distance relationships, be it with a significant other or with a friend, can be hard but they’re worth it.
6. Don’t go out if you don’t want to. Don’t drink if you don’t feel like. Don’t do anything you don’t want to do. Drinking doesn’t make you any cooler than the girl who doesn’t.
7. You’re more than a number. You create your own value.
8. Make time for your pet(s). They might be a small part of your day but to them, you are their entire world.
9. You are more than what you post online. Social media is great to an extent but it doesn’t validate your existence. Human interactions are a lot more fun than text on a screen.
10. Don’t take things too personally. Not everyone you are going to meet is going to like you. Not everyone is going to care as much as you do.
11. Wear what you want. This goes for clothes and make-up alike. If you love wearing dark lipstick and winged eyeliner, do it. If you like wearing heels even though you’re already 5’9 and your mother told you ‘Boys don’t like tall girls’, wear them anyway. It’s your body, not theirs.
12. There is a difference between people who take you outside your comfort zone and those who make you uncomfortable. Know the difference.
13. Keep an open mind. Not everything will go as planned. You might not fall for the right person at first. The right person might not fall for you. Sometimes the best stories are the ones that started out spontaneously.
14. Put yourself first for once. You deserve it.
15. Some days will be unexceptional but that doesn’t mean that you are.
16. You are not responsible for someone else’s feelings. If they don’t like you, that’s their problem. Don’t try to change for someone else’s sake.
© 2015 Reef Magazine