Listen While Reading: I’ve Got My Love To Keep Me Warm // Billie Holiday.
With the end of Halloween and the middle of November comes the rest of the holiday season, otherwise known as the most wonderful time of the year. It often feels as though these two months leading up to New Years go by in a flash. Sometimes it seems like we spend more time being excited about the holidays than actually enjoying them.
This year I’d like to approach the holidays a bit differently, so as to squeeze in as much cheer as humanly possible. What better way than with a list?
My holiday to-do list is below, and I hope it inspires you to make your own.
Have a truly wonderful holiday season, Reefies!
To-Do This Holiday Season
* Go ice skating in Central Park (and don’t worry about falling down)
* Make a carefully curated playlist of only the best holiday songs
* Decorate the apartment to be festive, warm, and inviting
* Brew a pot of delicious hot chocolate to share, drink it out of festive mugs
* Hang a real wreath on the front door
* Bake Butter Rum Muffins, enjoy them warm
* Walk through the Bryant Park Holiday Shops with a warm cup of chai
* Take a shamelessly touristy picture in front of the Rockefeller Christmas Tree
* Attempt to watch at least one holiday movie every day of December
* Share a famous frozen hot chocolate from Serendipity 3 with a friend
* Wear red and green (at the same time)
* Spend extra time with family, just because you can
* Wear lots of layers, scarves, hats
* Think less of what you want, be thankful for what you have
* Make a snowman in Central Park, carrot nose and all
* Watch ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas
* Be brave and drink a glass of eggnog
* Wear something sparkly (a scarf, a sweater, eye shadow, or nail polish)
* Burn a Balsam and Spruce Yankee Candle
* If attending a Holiday party, don’t go empty handed (champagne, wine, cookies, etc.)
* Set up a Christmas Tree the day after Thanksgiving, let the branches fall before decorating
* Give more than you receive, say thank you with more than words
* Sleep in matching flannel pajamas
* Host a small get together for friends with delicious food and drinks, wear ugly sweaters
* Purchase tickets to a performance of the Nutcracker, dress up
* Send cards to loved ones who are too far away to visit
* Peruse the Fifth Avenue holiday window displays
* Build a Gingerbread House, try not to eat all of the decorations
* Be kind, thoughtful, and patient (with others, and with yourself)
© 2015 Reef Magazine