Listen While Reading: Need The Sun To Break // James Bay.
The sun is shining through your shades and you can only tell its light outside by that translucent pink color on the insides of your eyelids. You’re in that peaceful stage between sleep and being awake. You remember last night and suddenly your face feels dry and your eyes are a little sore. And, then you remember what you were crying about before you fell asleep. It’s there, but it shouldn’t be and you try to push it away. You want to forget it about it – at least for a little bit.
We’ve all had rough days and even rougher nights. We don’t become stronger that exact minute we realize we’ve become sad because strength can only grow over time. You’ve woken up, which means you’re alive; it means you’ve beaten whatever got to you last night. You did it! Don’t worry, because now it’s the time to treat and rejuvenate yourself.
Things to remember after a bad night:
- There has to be a bad and a good. Always strive for the good, but accept that the bad is necessary.
- You might be thinking about whatever was upsetting you last night, but you got through the roughest part of it. Now it’s time to slow down and take everything in.
- Don’t feel weak after yesterday. Everyone needs to break down a little after awhile, it’s healthy. Even the best of the best have tough days.
- You’re stronger! You can conquer more now, get through tougher situations, and take on what life is throwing at you. You’re equipped with great skills and strengths all because of something tough you went through. You did it!
Things to do after a bad night:
- Wake up and stretch. Get your blood flowing and think a few good thoughts. Think about what you’re grateful for, to start your day off on a positive note!
- Drink a big, cold glass of water. Water is a magic drink, I swear by it. Especially if you were crying last night because your skin may be feeling very dry or tight. Replenish it and don’t forget to drink more water throughout the day.
- Wash your face. Use a gentle face wash and a creamy moisturizer to make your skin super soft. Press some eye cream softly into the skin around your eyes and moisturize your lashes with some castor oil.
- If you have school or work, take things slow. Chose something basic to wear, like a t-shirt, jeans, and some converse or tennis shoes. Apply a simple face of makeup and don’t forget to conceal! You probably look really tired, and if you’re fine with that look, go for it! But, make sure you’re comfortable at school today. You want to feel okay with yourself and not uncomfortable with your outfit or eyeliner for 8 plus hours, away from the comfort of your own home. It’s a feel good day, okay? You have it in you.
- If you don’t have school or work, lucky you! Plan a relaxing day for yourself. You can use a thick mask on your face to aid your skin and don’t forget to brush your hair out before putting it up into a comfortable bun or ponytail. Apply a moisturizing lip mask or lip creme and get ready to chill for the rest of the day.
- Eat a breakfast full of fiber and tasty flavors. Cut up your favorite fruits and throw them in your oatmeal or make a big smoothie for yourself. Keep water with you at all times so you’ll be more likely to drink it every once in awhile.
- Chill out with Netflix or Hulu. Watch a few of your favorite shows or movies. I love to explore Netflix by watching brand new movies to find what’s good. Browse Tumblr or tidy up a messy area in your room for a few minutes. Keep your mind off things.
- Go outside. Even if you don’t usually like going outside, taking a 10-minute walk around your neighborhood will really bring you a sense of relief. Try something new today. Bring your dog with you and I suggest not bringing any music, just jam out to the sounds of birds and kids playing outside. Sounds weird, but it’s nice to take in your surroundings for a little bit. Staying mindful will really keep you on top of things, and stray your brain away from thinking negative.
It’s nice to start off your day slow every once in awhile, especially after a long night! Take care of yourself, always. Even when things get tough!
© 2015 Reef Magazine.