We all know how important it is to start your day with a nutritionally healthy and balanced breakfast, but we often find ourselves too busy to make anything than a cup of coffee. When I take a few extra minutes in the morning to have breakfast, I feel energized all day long and end up eating less for lunch and dinner than I would have if I skipped breakfast. The breakfast ideas below take less than five minutes to prepare and they’re extremely nutritious. I hope these ideas inspire you to start your day the healthy way.
A yoghurt parfait is one of my favorite breakfast meals because there are so many ways you can make it, and, therefore, you won’t get sick of it.
- Choose your yoghurt flavor (I prefer plain Greek yoghurt for a parfait)
- Choose one or two berries (raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries)
- Choose your crunch (granola, trail mix, nuts, chia seeds, raisins)
- Top with organic honey and any desired spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin spice)
Voila! You have a delicious parfait made with healthy ingredients in less than five minutes.
Oats are an excellent source of fiber, which helps to keep you full and satisfied for much longer than a cup of coffee would!
- Soak ¾ cups of steel-cut oats in your desired amount of almond, soy, or cow milk. Leave in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, stir the oats and add any toppings you’d like (berries, banana slices, nuts, raisins, coconut shredding, chia seeds, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg)
Avocados are creamy in texture and packed with healthy proteins and fats, which make them very filling.
- Use a toaster oven to toast one or two pieces of whole grain bread.
- Spread ½ an avocado on the toast and top with lemon juice and/or pepper flakes.
Peanut Butter Banana Toast
Just like avocados, peanut butter is an excellent source of protein – and it’s filling.
- Toast one or two slices of wholegrain bread
- Spread 2 tbsp of natural/organic peanut butter on top
- Slice a banana on top.
*Optional – add chia seeds for extra nutrients!
This breakfast is perfect for when you need to race out of your house because you can drink it on the go.
Tip: adding a handful of spinach will add nutrients to your smoothie without making it taste like spinach.
Tip 2: adding ½ an avocado with thicken your smoothie and make it irresistibly creamy.
- Fill your blender with a handful of ice cubes
- Choose your liquid: orange juice, apple juice, almond milk, soy milk, or vegetable juice
- Choose your fruits: banana, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, peaches, mangoes, etc.
- Choose your protein: whey protein powder, peanut butter, Greek yoghurt
Blend and enjoy!
Words by Kristina S. // Photography by Gina J Lee.
© 2015 Reef Magazine